Looking for a career change? Let NIU help you through its professional school or job fair.
If you’re considering going back to school, attend the Graduate and Professional School Fair from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 17, in the Duke Ellington Ballroom of the Holmes Student Center.
To meet potential employers, save Wednesday, Oct. 18, as the date for the Internship and Job Fair. Meet employers from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the NIU Convocation Center.
Besides the preparation workshop, you can prepare for the job fair by downloading the free Careers by Symplicity app and selecting NIU’s Huskies Get Hired! as your school. A list of employers will appear on the Huskies Get Hired site soon so you can research companies. Before the job fair, you should prepare and practice your elevator speech and you can find interview resources at Career Services.
Here are some additional tips to have a successful day at the job fair:
- Arrive early. Make your impression while employers are still fresh and all are in attendance.
- What to bring: Brings several resumes, a calendar to track interview dates, a notepad for writing notes about employers that you meet and a folder for holding company information that you’re given.
- Prioritize the employers that you want to meet. When you arrive, you will receive an employer guide. Use this guide and the Careers by Symplicity app to prioritize and map out employers’ table locations. Visit high-priority employers only after you start feeling comfortable and confident in your approach. Don’t spend too much time in a long line.
- Be assertive, courteous and confident when you approach employers. Recruiters want to meet you. Remember to smile! Insert your elevator speech into the conversation.
- Ask questions about the position, the training and the company. Do not ask about salary.
- Request business cards from recruiters and send thank-you emails when you get home.
- Write a few notes about key topics after you talk with recruiters.
- Need help? Find a Career Services staff member for on-the-spot coaching.
If you need more information, please visit www.careerservices.niu.edu or call 815-753-1641.